- 17.01.2020: Lack of new antibiotics threatens global efforts to contain drug-resistant infections. WHO releases two new reports that emphasizes the weak pipeline for antibiotic agents.
– Antibacterial agents in clinical development – an analysis of the antibacterial clinical development pipeline
– Antibacterial agents in preclinical development pipeline
- 27.12.2019: Antibiotic developer Melinta files for bankruptcy
Drug maker Melinta Therapeutics today filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, becoming the second antibiotic developer this year to be forced into bankruptcy because of financial problems.
CIDRAP (Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, University of Minesota)
- 16.12.2019: the Swiss State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI) announced the launch of a new National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCRs): “AntiResist: Research into and development of new approaches to combat antibiotic-resistant bacteria”. The objectives of «AntiResist» are to search for new antibiotics and to develop alternative strategies to combat antibiotic-resistant pathogens.
Prof. Christoph Dehio, University of Basel, Federal funding 2020–2023: CHF 17 millions.
- 20 November 2019: BEAM Alliance has released a Position Paper on market-based solutions supporting SME-driven innovation against AMR
- 18 November 2019: Swiss startup Juvabis announces start of Phase I study of its best-in-class aminoglycoside antibiotic apramycin
- 23 October 2019: Polyphor and the University of Zurich announces publication in “Nature” of the unique mechanism of action of a new class of antibiotics.
Paper in Nature
- A number of motions and postulates concerning antibiotic resistance will be discussed at the next meeting of the Federal Chambers, 9-27 September 2019. Go to: «Activities of Swiss Politics / Members of Parliament».